Australian tennis player Sam Groth has announced that he would bid adieu to his career after the next year’s first major of the season at the Melbourne Park in January.Groth, an Olympian and Davis Cup mainstay, will call curtains to his 13-year-long career after the Australian Open, which is to be held from January 15 to January 28.While announcing his decision, the 30-year-old said he had increasingly struggled “with the whole life on the tour thing.””It’s been something I’ve been thinking about since the Wimbledon. I went to Newport, a tournament I’ve done really well in. I ‘qualified’, won a round and I was playing John Isner on centre court and a part of me just really didn’t want to be there,” news.com.au quoted Groth, as saying.”My issue has never been competing. Before I got to 53 in the world, my issue was doing enough work and all those sorts of things. That became the easy part at the end. But getting out and competing and being away from home became tough,” he explained the reason behind his decision.Groth, who was rewarded for his performances with the 2015 Newcombe medal, made his professional debut in 2006 and moved to a career-high ranking of world no. 53 in 2015 .He was also a significant part of Australia’s Davis Cup team that made it to the semi-finals that year.
Chelsea boss Sarri eager to strengthen wide positionsby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea boss Maurizio Sarri is eager to strengthen his wide positions.Chelsea sit fourth in the Premier League with the mid-season window now open.The Daily Mail says the former Napoli gaffer wants “better wide, creative options”.Sarri already has wingers Eden Hazard, Willian and Pedro among his ranks, as well as youngster Callum Hudson-Odoi.But his preference for playing Hazard in an unfamiliar No 9 role seems to have shaped his January plans. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Man City boss Guardiola: Incredible win at Evertonby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City boss Pep Guardiola admitted his was very happy to leave Everton with a victory.A notoriously tough venue for top teams in recent years, the City boss was happy to tick this game off this season’s fixture list.“In the first half, we started well and were incredible for 25 minutes,” said Guardiola.”After that, we had problems with Sigurdsson and trying to control him.“Everton have incredible players up front and experience in the middle and a good manager, so we knew it would be a tough game.”Every season it is difficult at Goodison Park. With the ball we were outstanding.“They had chances, but we had chances too, it was this kind of game. Football is sometimes unpredictable.”We had a problem in the first half with our high pressing – they had one more player on our left side. It was between 25 to 35 minutes that we had problems.“In the second half we showed, better quality. After Liverpool’s result, it was important to reduce the gap back to five points.“We created problems, arrived in perfect positions, attacking their full backs, but we were not so clinical like we were against Watford.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Kathleen Martens APTN News Embattled Sen. Lynn Beyak could be charged with a hate crime says fellow senator Lillian Dyck.Dyck is referring to letters Beyak, 68, recently posted on her Parliamentary website that support the “good” that Indian residential schools did.“I looked it up,” Dyck told APTN News Friday. “Hate speech is communicating statements in public that incite hatred against any identifiable group. “Someone could look into this…Check all the letters and make a determination as to whether it met the high standard for hate speech. She could be charged.”Dyck is from the Gordon First Nation in Saskatchewan and chair of the Aboriginal Peoples committee. Beyak was removed from that committee last year when she expressed support for the schools.Beyak was then removed from the Conservative Party of Canada caucus late Thursday.“On Tuesday, January 2, 2018, I learned that Senator Lynn Beyak posted to her Parliamentary website approximately 100 letters from Canadians in support of her position on residential schools,” CPC Leader Andrew Scheer said in a statement.Scheer said he demanded Beyak remove the content from her website, but she refused.“As a result of her actions, the Conservative Senate Leader Larry Smith and I have removed Senator Lynn Beyak from the Conservative National Caucus,” Scheer said. “Racism will not be tolerated in the Conservative Caucus or Conservative Party of Canada.”Scheer’s spokesman said there would be no further comment.Many consider the letters and Beyak’s position on the notorious school system to be racist.Dyck said the national outcry against Beyak could put her in the same boat as David Ahenakew, an Aboriginal leader from Saskatchewan charged with hate after making remarks about Jews in December 2002.Ahenakew was found not guilty after two trials.Dyck said some of the letters, which don’t reveal the authors’ full names, are “outrageous and offensive.”She said they promote false and negative stereotypes about Indigenous people that, in turn, lead to discrimination and negative treatment.Dyck praised Scheer for booting Beyak from caucus but says that frees the now-Independent senator from any censorship.“She is not alone,” Dyck added. “This is a symptom of the racism in our country.”Beyak’s views that some Indigenous children benefitted from forced residential school have been condemned by the Anglican church and Thunder Bay city council.It was churches that ran the schools – known for emotional, physical and sexual abuse – for the Canadian government.Beyak has not responded to APTN’s request for comment.Beyak was nominated to the senate by former prime minister Stephen Harper. It was Harper who apologized in 2008 for the residential school system.Dyck said reconciliation is meaningless if Canadians can’t address racism in society.“I’m 72 years old. Is it going to change before I die? I hope so,” she said.Meanwhile, she said she would not make the complaint to police to investigate Beyak.
New Delhi: Just when the industry through innovation in the smartphone business had hit stagnation, Samsung wowed us with its first foldable device “Galaxy Fold,” worth a whopping $2,000. A super-premium phone that took almost a decade in the making and opens like a book when unfolded, shouted everything next-generation. However, the expectations took a beating when reports of the Galaxy Fold issues surfaced. The units given to international tech reviewers encountered display distortion and screen flickering issues, forcing the South Korean giant to postpone its launch in Hong Kong and Shanghai on April 23 and 24 respectively, and issue a recall of review units. The big question lingers: Will the “Foldgate” make a dent in Samsung’s image like the Galaxy Note 7 with exploding batteries did in 2016? According to CyberMedia Research (CMR), the smartphone major has been mature and pragmatic enough by postponing its launch and sorting out all the issues before its general availiability. “All said, for Samsung, there is no race for first past the post with its foldable smartphone. It is more imperative for the company to focus on not delivering a flawed product, but rather ensuring highest consumer experience when the device goes on sales,” Prabhu Ram, Head, Industry Intelligence Group (IIG), CMR, told IANS. Defending its devices just days before its roll-out, a Samsung spokesperson assured that the firm would “thoroughly inspect” the units. According to market research firm Gartner, foldable phones would make up 5 per cent of high-end phones sales by 2023 with around 30 million units. According to Faisal Kawoosa, Founder and Principal Analyst of market research firm techARC, from a technology-rich company like Samsung, “one would expect things out only after reliability of desired levels are achieved”. The Galaxy Fold is expected to be priced around Rs 1,40,790 in India. “Nevertheless, the lab and real-world conditions play differently. I don’t see it as a big issue as the product has not exchanged hands with consumers yet. They have time to correct this aberration,” Kawoosa told IANS. Some units of the Galaxy Fold, which became the first phone with a foldable OLED display, is encountering two primary issues: the foldable screen seems to have a layer of protective layer that is similar to a cheap screen film. Several units reportedly failed after the layer was taken off. Few other screens failed because the hinge exposed areas which allowed debris to get inside of the display, thus, damaging the unit. “We expect that users will use a foldable phone as they do their regular smartphone, picking it up hundreds of times a day, unfolding it sporadically and typing on its plastic screen, which may scratch quickly depending on the way it folds,” Roberta Cozza, Research Director at Gartner had earlier said. However, according to market research firm techARC, this is primarily a material issue than a design. “I think till the time it’s a plastic-based screen, the chances of such mishaps remain high. I would certainly like to see a glass display, that too from credible makers like Corning, to have a reliable foldable screen,” stressed Kawoosa. Moreover, there’s no denying that the second-generation of foldable devices would be better that the experimental and ambitious first generation iterations. “The first generation of an innovation is always experimental, and which over successive iterations achieves perfection. Let’s’face it. The Galaxy Fold was just a mistake in timing. It does not take away anything from its manufacturing capabilities,” Ram noted.
Northern Ireland’s Niall McGinn has revealed his delight at his performance during his country’s defeat to Bosnia & Herzegovina.Micheal O’Neill’s men lost their UEFA Nations League opener to Edin Dzeko and company but the performance of McGinn was a bright spark in an otherwise gloomy outing.The Aberdeen winger got the nod after an injury to Josh Magennis but did his best to make the most of it as he sent in a string of dangerous crosses and was the first to test Bosnia goalkeeper Ibrahim Sehic with a powerful shot after cutting inside.McGinn: We must take only the positives Henry Ikenna Ugwu – November 19, 2018 Niall McGinn says Northern Ireland must take the positives from their disappointing UEFA Nations League campaign.McGinn insists the team’s 2-1 defeat to Austria sums…“I was delighted from a personal point of view that Michael gave me the nod to play and it was my first start in a while,” the 31-year-old said, as quoted by Sky Sports.“When big Josh picked up a wee niggle I thought I might get a chance to get in from the start, as I trained well all week, he said that to me that I had looked sharp in training and thankfully he gave me the opportunity and I thought I did well in the game.“I just kicked on from obviously doing OK at Aberdeen and I have been playing plenty of football, so for Michael to give me the nod to go in and I knew my job was to get at the full-back, get crosses into the box and obviously create chances for the strikers. I thought I done that and I was really enjoying the game.”
Attention turns to Stamford Bridge this weekend, where Chelsea will be hosting under-fire manager Jose Mourinho and his Manchester United side in the Premier League.United manager Jose Mourinho’s “it’s not about me” comment after his team’s exciting comeback win over Newcastle United last time out is unlikely to be heeded on Saturday when he returns to Chelsea, according to Reuters.The former Inter Milan manager’s words of appreciation after United fans chanted his after their 3-2 victory over Rafael Benitez’s side may have reflected a weariness at the constant focus on his position at Old Trafford but the spotlight will unavoidably be on the Portuguese again.The manner of his team’s win, with three goals in the final 20 minutes of all-out attacking football, has raised the question of whether he will take the shackles off when they travel to London to face Chelsea.Mourinho: “Lionel Messi made me a better coach” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho believes the experience of going up against Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi at Real Madrid made him a greater coach.Maurizio Sarri’s Chelsea are unbeaten, level on points with champions Manchester City and challengers Liverpool and with their Belgian superstar Eden Hazard in a scintillating form are clear favourites for the game on Saturday.United are already seven points behind the league leaders after losses to Brighton & Hove Albion, West Ham United and Tottenham Hotspur at home and Mourinho will be keen to ensure they avoid defeat to the Blues, despite their poor record their recent poor record at the Bridge.Chelsea have not lost at home to United in the last six years, losing just two of the 16 meetings between the two since then and Mourinho has lost four of his six games against his former club since taking over at United.
BATE Borisov midfielder Aleksandr Hleb has revealed his regrets over his move to Barcelona ten years ago.The former Arsenal midfielder insists he made a mistake leaving the Gunners to sign for Pep Guardiola’s team and wished he rejected the advances of the Catalan club back in 2008.Hleb spent three years with the North London club, after signing from German Bundesliga outfit VFB Stuttgart back in 2005.In an interview with the Telegraph, the 37-year-old said he couldn’t fulfill his potential with the Spanish champions.Hleb returned to London on Thursday night with the current team, Bate Borisov playing against Chelsea in their 3-1 UEFA Europa League defeat.“Looking back now, it was a mistake signing for Barcelona,” he said.Quiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.“I lost my best years. I made some errors and I was never able to show my best.”The ex-Belarusian international also spoke about his relationship with Arsenal legend Thierry Henry, and how he and Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola didn’t see eye to eye.“He (Henry) offered me a spare room in his house,” explained Hleb, who caused frustration when he left north London a decade ago.”“We watched Arsenal’s games together. I wanted to play and I was annoyed because Guardiola wouldn’t put me on.”“Later, I realised that it was my fault.”