Prime Minister talks of amending “national identity”article used to prosecute writers and journalists

first_img Turkey’s never-ending judicial persecution of former newspaper editor April 2, 2021 Find out more News News News News TurkeyEurope – Central Asia TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Organisation Receive email alerts Reporters Without Borders gave a cautious welcome to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s comment on novelist Elif Shafak’s acquittal today on a charge of “insulting national identity,” in which Erdogan spoke of amending the article of the criminal code that allowed her to be prosecuted.“We hail this first step and we call on Ankara to turn these words into action,” the press freedom organisation said. “Everything must be done without delay so that Turkey’s laws evolve in line with Europe’s. This acquittal comes in the runup to the publication of a European Commission report on Turkey’s legislative progress on 8 November. We hope the approach of this deadline will encourage the Turkish authorities to move in the right direction on this issue.”The criminal code’s article 301 is incompatible with freedom of expression, above all because of its vague wording, Reporters Without Borders added. It has been used over and again to prosecute journalists and writers. With its possible three-year prison sentence, it has become a constant threat hanging over intellectuals and its clearly designed to deter them from writing freely.Shafak, 35, was acquitted just minutes after her trial began today in Istanbul amid considerable media attention. The prosecution was prompted by comments made by one of her characters in her recent novel “The Father and the Bastard” (Baba ve Pic) about the massacre of Armenians under the Ottoman Empire during the First World War.The prime minister told Reuters today: “Let’s sit down and discuss this (with the opposition parties). We have to forge a consensus (on changing the law).” center_img September 21, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Prime Minister talks of amending “national identity”article used to prosecute writers and journalists RSF_en Human rights groups warns European leaders before Turkey summit to go further Journalists threatened with imprisonment under Turkey’s terrorism law April 28, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Turkey April 2, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Online lettings platform Goodlord raises £7.2m in extra funding

first_imgOnline rental viewings and digital tenancy processing platform Goodlord says it has signed up 300 agents, transacted over 50,000 tenancies worth £200m since launching in August last year, and that is has raised an extra £7.2 million in funding.Goodlord also says it has signed up several big names including Strutt & Parker, Remax and London-based LiFe Residential, as well as 121,240 tenants and landlords.The three-year-old company, which spent two years in incubation and preparation before coming to market, raised the extra cash from several sources including Californian venture capital fund Ribbit Capital and two existing investors.The extra cash will be spent on expanding its headcount and Goodlord expects to have 117 employees by June this year, up from 11 last year.“This funding will allow us to move to the next stage in our plan to revolutionise the way that rental property lettings are done, taking away the pain for both landlords and tenants,” says Chief Executive Richard White (pictured, below).The company received £2m of start-up cash in May 2016 from German venture capital firm Global Founders Partners, one of the contributors to its latest round of funding.Goodlord’s platform and smartphone app is one way for agents to digitally outsource the management of the tenancy process onto one platform and make it “quicker and hassle-free” for agents and tenants.This includes tenant finding, referencing, deposit collection and rent collection. Goodlord also claims that its platform saves agents between 50% and 75% of their administration costs.“Generation Rent has been getting a raw deal up to now,” says Richard White.“Not only are they priced out of buying a home, they are often having to deal with slow, shoddy service when they try to rent a place.“More and more people will be renting their homes for longer. They want to see quick, professional and efficient service from both agents and landlords. Goodlord can provide this in a way that is familiar to a generation that expects to complete purchases, order take-aways and hail a taxi using their phone in seconds.”goodlord Goodlord funding proptech Richard White Richard White Goodlord tenancy app tenancy processing app March 15, 2017Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles Letting agent fined £11,500 over unlicenced rent-to-rent HMO3rd May 2021 BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Home » News » Online lettings platform Goodlord raises £7.2m in extra funding previous nextProducts & ServicesOnline lettings platform Goodlord raises £7.2m in extra fundingProptech firm says it also signed up 300+ agents including Strutt & Parker and Remax.Nigel Lewis15th March 201701,206 Viewslast_img read more

Gov. Wolf Announces Decision to Close SCI Retreat

first_img January 17, 2020 Press Release Governor Tom Wolf today announced that he has completed his review of the Recommendation for the Closure of the State Correctional Institution at Retreat final report and is calling for the full closure of SCI Retreat.“The SCI Retreat closure report was developed through a transparent, inclusive process and provides a thorough, straightforward, facts-based review of the realities surrounding the facility’s financial needs and the effects a closure could have on the staff, inmates, and the community in regard to public safety. These factors indicate to me that closure is the right decision,” Gov. Wolf said. “I understand that a closure is tough on the employees, the community and the inmates and their families. The DOC staff will work to ensure a smooth transition for all involved and I will be in touch with DOC executive staff throughout the closure process.”DOC staff will be on site to help employees with relocation to a DOC facility within a 65-mile radius of SCI Retreat, which is in Hunlock Creek, Luzerne County. There are six DOC facilities within the 65-mile radius.Gov. Wolf pointed to several factors inherent in his decision to order the closure:The DOC continues to experience a significant decrease in the inmate population. In fact, a reduction of 1,900 inmates in fiscal year 2018-19 was the largest one-year decrease in the department’s history – all at a time when crime rates continue to fall.Current projections anticipate a continued decline in the prison population over the next five years while DOC is also faced with the challenge of a projected budget deficit of approximately $140 million for fiscal year 2019-20.All employees will be offered continued employment at another SCI within 65 miles of SCI Retreat.All employees are provided support through the utilization of SEAP, COVER, and POWER.The closure will not affect the safety or security of the staff, inmates, and public.The DOC can continue to prioritize the safety of staff, inmates and the community in addition to remaining a good steward of taxpayer money.“As a result of the significant budget deficit and continued decrease in the inmate population, among other factors, it would be fiscally irresponsible to not close the prison,” Gov. Wolf said.Full annual net savings will not be realized until after a full year of closure. Under Act 133 there is a minimum four-month closure process so SCI retreat will close no earlier than May 17th. After the facility closes, it is expected that the DOC will save approximately $40 million annually.Department of Corrections Executive Deputy Secretary Tabb Bickell, who oversaw the implementation of the closure review process outlined in Act 133, noted that the next step in the process involves negotiations with labor unions. When those are completed, SCI Retreat employees will be given a survey to indicate their first and second relocation choices. Employees will have 60 days to return the survey to department officials. After completed surveys are received, employee relocation will begin and is likely to continue up to the final closure date.Prior to employee relocation, the prison’s inmate population will be gradually relocated to other DOC facilities. Inmate relocation decisions will be based on each inmate’s custody level and treatment and medical needs.The DOC has created a dedicated email account ([email protected]) and a toll-free number (888-316-8950) for staff, inmate families and others seeking additional information.For additional information, including the full closure report here. Gov. Wolf Announces Decision to Close SCI Retreatcenter_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

FB : Last time they played: Syracuse 34, Toledo 7

first_img Published on September 22, 2011 at 12:00 pm Comments Walter Reyes had a wide smile on his face when he struck the Heisman pose after Syracuse’s win over Central Florida. And a week later, when the Orangemen played Toledo, Reyes further bolstered his case for the Heisman Trophy.The SU running back followed up a 241-yard, four-touchdown UCF game with 162 yards rushing and two touchdowns against the Rockets.Reyes gave credit to his offensive line for opening up gaping holes to run through following the game.‘The (offensive line) makes holes about this big,’ Reyes said in an article published by The Daily Orange on Sept. 29, 2003.  ‘At first, I’m expecting to get hit and then it’s like, ‘Oh, here we go.”With the help of his offensive line, Reyes led Syracuse to a 34-7 throttling of Toledo. Reyes couldn’t be contained, busting out for two touchdown runs of 61 yards and 43 yards in length. The Orangemen combined its fierce running attack that went for 303 yards on 47 carries with a stingy pass defense to easily beat the Rockets.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAfter the win over Toledo, Reyes led the nation in rushing with 170.3 yards per game and scoring with 15.5 points per game. He finished the year with 1,347 yards rushing, 975 receiving and 20 touchdowns rushing on the season.The Orangemen improved to 3-1 after stifling the Rockets. The Syracuse defense was prepared for Toledo’s short passing scheme. The Rockets were only able to gain 57 yards on 13 screen plays.Syracuse defensive coordinator Chris Rippon recognized Bruce Gradkowski’s tendency to throw the short pass. Gradkowski threw the ball 50 times, but the Orangemen held the Toledo quarterback to just 5.1 yards per pass.‘Their passing game is really more like a running game,’ Rippon said to The Daily Orange after the game. ‘It’s a lot of short passes, a lot of screen passes.’The Orangemen controlled the clock, running 39 plays before halftime. Reyes’ ability to break free for big plays even astounded his teammates. The nearly 36,000 fans in the Carrier Dome took notice, too, giving him a standing ovation.‘He just bursts through that hole, and it opens like the Red Sea,’ tight end Lenny Cusumano said to The Daily Orange after the game. ‘Walter gets up in there, the hole opens up and he takes it to the house. It’s just unbelievable the way he hits that hole.’Toledo only mustered one touchdown in the third quarter, and by that time the Orangemen were already out in front 27-0.‘I can’t say that we anticipated that they would only score seven points,’ SU head coach Paul Pasqualoni said to The Daily Orange after the game. ‘But one of the objectives on defense was to bend, slow it down and try not to break.’Reyes was able to outrun the whole Rockets’ defense on his two touchdowns. Despite overextending his quad on one play, the Orangemen continued to feed Reyes the ball rather than turn to backup Damien Rhodes. The Rockets were unable to find a remedy for the Orangemen running attack.‘We tried to run blitz on those short-yardage plays and make a big play,’ Toledo head coach Tom Amstutz said to The Daily Orange after the game. ‘He made some moves, found a hole and just took off.’— Compiled by Andrew Tredinnick, asst. copy editor, [email protected]center_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more