Chelsea confirm Willian deal

first_img Willian began his career in his homeland with Corinthians before moving to Europe with Shakhtar Donetsk in 2007. He made over 100 appearances for the Ukrainians before going to Anzhi in January of this year but his Russian adventure will be short-lived. Mourinho is now likely to turn his intentions to getting Rooney, with a third bid planned after Monday’s Barclays Premier League clash at Old Trafford. Chelsea have been told repeatedly that Rooney is not for sale, but still Mourinho is chasing his man. “When you own a player, you have a contract with a player for a long time, even if the player wishes to leave – and sometimes that happens,” Mourinho said. “That contradiction happens. The player wants to leave, the club wants to keep (him). “We (managers) have to make a decision one way or another way. We have to persuade the player to stay, or the player persuades us to sell.” Asked how he rates Chelsea’s chances of signing Rooney, Mourinho said: “I don’t care. In this moment I don’t care.” Where the Willian move leaves Spurs now is unclear, with the forward seemingly lined up as their replacement for Gareth Bale should he complete his protracted move to Real Madrid. This latest development could prove to be yet another delay in the summer’s longest-running transfer saga and possibly increase the chances of the Welshman staying in north London. Chelsea have confirmed that they have reached an agreement to sign Willian from Anzhi Makhachkala. Press Association The Brazilian had looked to be on the verge of joining Tottenham earlier this week but the Blues have outmanoeuvred their London rivals and the forward will now move to Stamford Bridge subject to a work permit being granted. A statement on www.chelseafc.com read: “Chelsea Football Club can confirm an agreement has been reached with both Willian and his club Anzhi Makhachkala for the transfer of the Brazilian player. “The transfer is subject to a work permit hearing on Wednesday.” The 25-year-old had got as far as completing a medical at Spurs but his about-turn will come as a boost to Blues boss Jose Mourinho, who has been looking to add to his attacking options this summer. The Portuguese has had two bids rejected for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney and is now being linked with another Anzhi player in Samuel Eto’o. Mourinho hinted that Willian had chosen the Blues over Spurs in his press conference on Friday, although the player had yet to complete his medical at that point. “I think he’s already made his decision,” Mourinho said. The self-styled ‘Special One’ nodded in the affirmative when asked if that was Chelsea. He added: “I don’t like to speak before time because football can be crazy. “I know what the player wants, so in this moment we cannot hide. That is a possibility.” last_img read more

Ezekiel Elliott contract: Jerry Jones preaches patience; Cowboys prepare for long wait

first_imgOf course, they’re plugging along right now without Elliott, one of the NFL’s best running backs. He reportedly is in Mexico training and staying in shape as he waits out a new contract.Elliott is set to earn a base salary of $3.9 million for 2019, and the team last month picked up the fifth-year option of his rookie contract that will pay him $9.1 million for 2020.He earned his second rushing title in three years with 1,434 yards on a league-high 304 carries with six touchdowns last season, while adding 77 receptions for 567 yards with three touchdowns.Part of plugging along is plugging the hole Elliott’s absence creates in Dallas’ offense.That, Jones said Thursday, was what signing free agent back Alfred Morris was about, filling the void not sending a negotiating message to Elliott.Morris, 30, played with the Cowboys in 2016 and ’17 and rushed for 547 yards and a touchdown in 2017, a season in which Elliott missed six games because of an NFL-mandated suspension. “You recognize Morris has made some big plays for us in Zeke’s absence. Morris did a good job, so you go get Morris,” Jones said. “In no way is it addressed towards, directing toward a negotiation stance, that’s not the point. What you should be doing is developing an offense. … We have to do this in case Zeke might not be here, period. Without a contract issue and we all know that can happen.”Cowboys executive vice president and CEO Stephen Jones and coach Jason Garrett have fielded questions about their running back’s absence, insisting Dallas is focused only on the players who showed up to training camp. “We are focused on the guys who are here,” Garrett said. “We’re not going to focus on the business of football.”Stephen Jones said: “It’s going to do no good to address this situation every day, but we will be working on (a contract) behind the scenes.”Meantime, Jerry Jones on Thursday said he is confident that Elliott is working hard in his conditioning, which adds to the Cowboys owner/GM’s calm about not if but when his star returns.“Zeke is in my mind, very conscientious about his preparation to play,” Jones said. “I’m not even giving it a second thought to his conditioning which is part of his ability to step right in. Saints’ Michael Thomas on record-breaking deal: ‘I’m trying to earn every penny of it’ “All of that is very easy for my mind to deal with.”The Cowboys open their preseason schedule Aug. 10 at the 49ers. Their regular-season opener is Sept. 8 at home against the Giants. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, a famously impatient man, says he’s ready to play the long game on holdout running back Ezekiel Elliott’s contract.Jones was asked Thursday at the team’s training camp in Oxnard, California, about whether he has a timetable for getting the deal done, if there were a point of no turning back or a deadline as Elliott holds out.center_img “I don’t see it that way. I don’t see a point months into the season,” Jones told reporters (via DallasCowboys.com). “I don’t see a point. I’ve done it a lot more than these players have, I don’t want to seem trite or cavalier about it, but I have a little more patience about how things are going to get done and the necessity to have angst when you have it.”Instead, the Cowboys will “just keep plugging along,” he said. Related News NFL Hall of Fame Game 2019: Three takeaways from Broncos’ win over Falconslast_img read more