No. 5 Maryland dominates No. 8 Syracuse just like it always has, 18-11

first_imgUPDATED: March 13, 2018 at 12:36 p.m.A win versus Maryland. Six years ago Saturday was the last time Syracuse got to experience it. Three final four eliminations, one national championship loss and 10 defeats separate the last time SU left the playing field on top.In the coaching staff’s pregame meeting, a different type of emotion painted the interaction. Handshakes were followed with smiles and laughing exchanges.When the pack separated, SU head coach Gary Gait and Maryland head coach Cathy Reese stayed behind. They looked up. It was just the eighth time in history “SYRACUSE” and “MARYLAND” graced the same scoreboard in the Carrier Dome for a women’s lacrosse game. Syracuse has never produced the highest score in any of them.“I’m not scared … Yes, I have never beaten them since I’ve been here,” redshirt senior Taylor Gait said on Feb. 27. “But, watching Maryland play UNC … it’s possible. It’s always possible.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textBut, once again, No. 8 Syracuse (4-2, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) fell. The 18-11 win by No. 5 Maryland (5-1) is UMD’s 22nd win in the history of the matchup and is, yet again, another example of the stark contrasts between a team that has made two national title games and a team that has won 13.“All of us could have stepped up today,” Gait said. “We made the little mistakes and I think it caught up to us.”The Terrapins’ repeated dominance of SU influenced players to frame their thoughts to the games ahead, because historically that’s the only time where the Orange have experienced success. Gait jokingly said on Feb. 27 that a win against Maryland would be “everything,” but she corrected herself to say that the ultimate goal is still a national title.For years Maryland has stood in the way of the Orange in its quest for the ultimate goal. The Terrapins have ended Syracuse’s NCAA tournament runs three times in the past four years. But after Maryland fell in a loss to North Carolina earlier this season, Gait and the SU players were convinced this year could be different. Still, it seemed no preparation could save SU it from its most notorious foe.“I think everyone thinks that you build on wins, you build on success,” Gary Gait said. “Sometimes it works that way, today it didn’t.”Before the game got out of hand, Syracuse provided a glimmer of hope. The game, which is the culmination of “the toughest run in the country,” Gary Gait said, started off in SU’s favor. Midfielder Sam Swart provided the first goal of the game for the Orange.Coming off of what may have been the Orange’s biggest win of the season against then-No. 4 Florida, it seemed as if the Orange carried the momentum into Sunday’s matchup. SU players jumped and cheered as if it had already won the game, sensing weakness from the Terrapins.Then, the sloppiness ensued.Syracuse allowed three-straight goals and never led again. The remainder of play was highlighted by misfired and mishandled passes and trouble holding onto the ball. Gait, who said that she suffers in the “mental” aspect of the game whenever she plays Maryland, frequently turned the ball over.On one play, after Syracuse fought hard for a draw, in a pursuit that involved almost every player on the field, Gait scooped the ball amidst multiple players tumbling. But as the Orange pushed forward, Gait lofted a ball across the middle of the field that was picked off.The Orange suffered from tentative play early on as Maryland started to go on scoring runs and push ahead, Gary Gait said. He added the Orange tried to do too much to make up for the lack of possessions it had, never settling into its offensive gameplan.After making an early save, SU goalkeeper Asa Goldstock walked the ball out to the opposing 45-yard line and fired a clear over the middle of the field. But it fell short and she had to race back to prevent a Maryland breakaway opportunity. Though UMD didn’t convert, the play was Goldstock’s first clear attempt coming off of a game in which she thrived setting up her SU teammates. It was a sign that Maryland was different and the same game wouldn’t be enough.“They jumped on us and they played like the defending national champs they are,” Gary Gait said. “We tried to rally and keep up, but they were too much for us today.”Maryland’s second-ranked scoring offense wouldn’t be contained. It continued to tear the Orange defense apart and the Terrapins defense did its job preventing the SU attack.With the Orange down 6-2, still trying to get out of an early-game hole, Neena Merola pushed the ball upfield into the Maryland zone. She made it directly adjacent to the UMD goal, where she was knocked down, drawing a whistle. The Syracuse bench erupted, thinking finally something had finally gone its way, but the foul was called on Merola, and the Terrapins were awarded the ball.Again, the Terrapins showed that it would not let up and that Syracuse would never get an easy chance. As it never has.Whenever Maryland exercised its dominance, a hypnotic chant rang heavy throughout the Dome.“When I say ‘Turtle’, you say ‘Power!’” a UMD fan urged the crowd.“Turtle!”“Power!”“Turtle!”“Power!”“Turtle!”“Power!”Again and again, Maryland was too much, as it always has been.When the players exited the field, it had a similar feeling as it had the previous 10 meetings. It fell to the one opponent that makes all of its other successes seem obsolete. Comments Published on March 11, 2018 at 3:35 pm Contact Michael: [email protected] | @MikeJMcCleary Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Wellington police notes: Friday, Aug. 9 – Sunday, Aug. 11, 2013

first_imgSaturday August 10, 2013•8:22 a.m. Charolette M. Jones, 28, Wellington was issued a summons to appear for a charge of discharge of a firearm within the Wellington.•8:37 a.m. Clifford L. Barney, 44, Wichita was issued a notice to appear charged with speeding 45 mph in a 35 mph zone. (radar)•9 a.m. Henry A. Castro, 38, Wellington was issued a summons to appear charged with theft.•10:06 a.m. Thomas V. Atterbury, Derby, was arrested and charged with possession of depressants and driving while revoked in the 1400 block of E. 16th, Wellington.•3:57 p.m. Officers investigated burglary and criminal damage to property in the 1100 block S. A  Wellington by an unknown suspect(s).•9:35 p.m. Kristine M. Ledbetter, 19, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with speeding 67 mph in a 55 mph zone. (radar)•11:18 p.m. Officers investigated possession of depressant, possession of drug paraphernalia, speeding and contributing to a child’s misconduct.•11:23 p.m. Juvenile male, 15, Ponca City, Okla. was arrested and confined referred to juvenile court.•11:23 p.m. Jessica M. Schiltz, 24, Ponca City, Okla. was arrested, charged and confined with possession of certain depressants, possession of drug paraphernalia and contributing to a child’s misconduct. Wellington Police notes for Friday, August 9, to Sunday, August 11, 2013:Friday, Aug. 9 •8:59 a.m. Officers investigated burglary and criminal damage to property in the 200 block S. Jefferson, Wellington.•10 a.m. Officers investigated impair a security interest by known suspect in the 800 block N. Woodlawn, Wellington.•10 a.m. Officers investigated impair a security interest by known suspect in the 800 block N. Woodlawn, Wellington.•1:27 p.m. Officers investigated theft of a CB radio by an unknown suspect in the 300 block W. Botkin, Wellington.•2 p.m. Non-Injury, hit and run accident in the 1100 block N. A, Wellington involving an unknown vehicle and a parked and unoccupied vehicle owned by Judy A. Wacker, Argonia.•3:35 p.m. Officers investigated a theft of a lawnmower in the 300 block N. A, Wellington.•9:15 p.m. Officers took a report of found property in the 800 block N. Woodlawn, Wellington. Sunday, August 11, 2013•5:40 a.m. Jeremy L. Harris, 38, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with illegal registration and no proof insurance.•9:04 a.m. Austin L. Mayo, 19, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with speeding 45 mph in a 30 mph zone.•4:09 p.m. Officers investigated a theft of a tree trimmer in the 1900 block N. B, Wellington.•5:31 p.m. Officer took a miscellaneous report in the 1200 block S. G, Wellington.last_img read more


first_imgA 15 year old boy has been ordered to do 120 hours community service in lieu of six months detention after admitting attacking a retired nurse in broad daylight.The boy, who was just 14 at the time of the attack in Letterkenny last August, appeared in court with his parents at Milford District Court yesterday.The retired nurse, Mrs Anna McDaid, had to spend nine days in hospital after the attack which happened at 5pm in the afternoon as she was going to her local post office. She was dragged to the ground and was found unconscious by a passer-by while €300 was missing from her handbag.After her ordeal, her husband Joe said his wife still only had 50% use of her left arm and will still need reconstruction of her left shoulder.“She is trying to get on with her life but she will never be the same woman she was,” he said.Her attacker, who cannot be named for legal reasons, admitted later in court that he carried out the mugging because his parents had cut-off his pocket money.Solicitor for the accused, Kieran Dillon, said the boy was ashamed of what he had done and had since changed his life completely.He had now started playing rugby and found the discipline of the game very helpful and that he had also completed a FAS course.Mr Dillon said his client completely understood how Mrs McDaid’s life had been turned upside down and that his client was ashamed of his behaviour.He also offered a further €500 in compensation and a letter of apology to Mrs McDaid.Judge Paul Kelly said the boy was very fortunate that his solicitor had made such an extremely careful and researched plea as the charges were very serious.“People that have dealt with you feel that you are remorseful and that you deserve a second chance.“But you need to make some recompense and I hope that you will reflect on the damage caused to the injured party,” he said.He ordered him to do 120 hours community service in lieu of six months detention and put him on a probation bond for 12 months on his own bond of €500.He is also to comply with all the directions of the probation services and of his training and employment officer and not to reoffend.EndsBOY ORDERED TO DO COMMUNITY SERVICE AFTER ATTACK ON RETIRED LETTERKENNY NURSE was last modified: September 12th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Anna McDaidMilford District Courtmuggedlast_img read more