Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Greg Galant and his buddies watched in dismay, day after day, as the parade of vessels barreling through Huntington Harbor sent the sea creatures they were trying so desperately to hook scurrying for safer waters.They continued to cast their lines for an entire summer, hoping something would bite; anything. Yet the season passed to no avail—the group with nothing to show for their determination.“I was never an expert fisher by any chance,” Galant laughs.No worries; he’d be reeling in a much, much bigger catch soon enough.The Huntington-born whiz kid cast a much wider net, turning his real love—technology—into a social media-inspired juggernaut that now carries him across the globe, worlds away from the North Shore waterfront village where he first began developing websites for local businesses.It was the mid-’90s, and many Americans—at least those who owned computers at the time—were just getting acquainted with the World Wide Web. Galant, however, the son of two Newsday journalists, had already been dabbling with coding and the inner workings of the Internet and was more than ready for the oncoming revolution about to sweep the globe. He credits suburban melancholy.“Growing up on Long Island I was always very much into tech,” he says, “very bored like a lot of kids were.”At 14 years old he began drilling into local businesses the importance of creating a website. Local newspaper The Long Islander and a French philosopher, of all people, were among his first patrons. His client list would soon be replete with businesses the world over—willing to take a shot on someone not yet old enough to drive because “nobody knew what they were doing on the Internet,” at the time, he says.Galant, now the CEO of Sawhorse Media, the umbrella company for Muck Rack, a social media site for journalists, and the Shorty Awards, which annually honors the best in social media, is an unassuming 30-year-old who wears a full dark beard and carries himself with quiet confidence.Social media drives everything he does. The Shorty Awards, which appeared on the scene in 2008, went viral on Twitter, forcing his team to make accommodations for more journalists than they initially expected. Shorty Awards was also one of the first to use Twitter as a nomination site.Galant wasn’t sold on Twitter at the social media site’s outset and actually admits he didn’t think it would be a success, but he became one of its first million users—his Twitter handle @gregory putting him in its exclusive “first name” club. It’s because of his initial skepticism that Galant chose the famous Big Duck in Flanders as his profile picture instead of his own headshot—an icon of his roots which he keeps to this day.A lot of what Galant has done in his short and wildly successful career has been on the whim.And to think, it all happened because he was a bored teenager on Long Island.
The striker could face Tottenham on Saturday for the first time since threatening to go on strike in the summer after Spurs had four bids rejected. He has been benched for the last three Barclays Premier League games after a dip in form and has netted just three times this season. The Baggies rejected two offers from Spurs on deadline day – the last rising to £23million with several clauses – after he scored 20 goals last season and, ahead of their Hawthorns visit, Pulis is still waiting for Berahino to regain his form. He said: “If you look at last season the most influential player at the club was Saido. He got the goals which got us the points which kept us in the league. This year we haven’t had that. “For six months we’ve played with Saido being nowhere near as good as he was last year. It was disappointing in lots of ways. I’m not blaming Saido, not anyone, it’s just fact. “There’s no question Saido was disappointed the deal never went through. There are people in the game who can handle it, there are people who can’t. “He’s an outstanding player and talent but we haven’t had that at the same level as we did last year. “I’m not saying we can’t get him back but we haven’t got him back to the same level. “The problem is the window is coming around again and they’ll be all the speculation.” Berahino was also dropped for three games earlier in the season as Pulis felt he was not in the right frame of mind to cope with the spotlight. Press Association Spurs have again been linked with a move for the 22-year-old next month but Pulis insisted Berahino is better off at the Baggies. “He has to get as fit as he was last year and wash everything else away. He has been given a God-given talent but in the last six months he has not fulfilled the potential,” he said. “He needs to get back to that for his own sake. The best place to do it is here. “I don’t want to get into asking prices and whether he is for sale or not. I’m not interested.” Meanwhile, Pulis is without the banned Claudio Yacob against Spurs while Ben Foster continues to be out with a long-term knee injury. Pulis insisted there had been no bids for Berahino, although the club have conceded they are powerless to stop interest, and the 57-year-old wants to work with Berahino for as long as possible. “No one has rung me up and said there is a deal there to be done and no one has rung the chairman up so it’s speculation,” he said. “My mindset has always been the same, which is to try to get the best out of the kid while he’s here. “If he’s here for the next 10 years and I am lucky enough to be here for the next 10 years then that’s what I’ll do continuously – try to get the best out of the players. “My job is to do that and if the chairman decides to sell him then the chairman decides to sell him.” January will be the third transfer window when Berahino has been the focus of speculation at The Hawthorns and while Pulis is confident the forward has learned from past mistakes he knows only the England Under-21 international can get himself back on track. “I think it takes time. There are different people, different characters,” he said. “We are all different and some people take over things straight away and others take time. “It’s important that he realises and recognises that he has got wonderful talent. “Irrespective of what we say, the lad has to pick up the baton himself and that’s important. “For all the talk we do, the important thing is that the lad who is running this and can control this has got to pick the baton up and that’s what Saido has got to do.” Tony Pulis believes West Brom have been missing the real Saido Berahino for six months.
SUICIDE leaves behind bewildered relatives and friends who are left to cope with the aftermath.Thankfully there are some great charities out there such as Living Links.And this weekend Kellys XL shop at Illistrin and the local community are getting together to raise much-needed funds for the charity which has done so much to help people in Co Donegal. The 5k walk and run leaves from the shop at 3pm this Sunday, with registration from 1pm.Entry fee is €5 for walkers, €7 for runners – or €10 for a family, running or walking on a fully marshalled route.It’s an ideal opportunity to stretch the legs, get a better 5k time for the more serious runners – and of course raise money for Living Links.And when you get back to Kelly’s XL, free refreshments will be provided. Donegal Daily is proudly supporting this initiative.* If you have been bereaved through suicide, go to www.livinglinks.ie COPING WITH AFTERMATH OF SUICIDE: UNIQUE 5K EVENT THIS SUNDAY was last modified: October 12th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:5k charity walk5k runIllistrinKellys XLliving links