Maguire arrested in Greece

first_img(BBC) – MANCHESTER United captain Harry Maguire has been arrested following an incident on the island of Mykonos on Thursday.The England defender, 27, is on holiday in Greece.The Syros prosecutor’s office said yesterday that “three foreigners” had been arrested after an alleged altercation with police officers in Mykonos.Maguire’s lawyer Konstantinos Darivas said he denies the allegations and is “fully convinced he will be released without any charges” today.Maguire joined United from Leicester for £80M – a world record fee for a defender – in August 2019.“The club is aware of an alleged incident involving Harry Maguire in Mykonos last night (Thursday),” United said in a statement yesterday.“Contact has been made with Harry, and he is fully co-operating with the Greek authorities. At this time we will be making no further comment.”Greek police said in a statement, officers had tried to break up an altercation between two groups outside a bar and that the three foreigners had then verbally abused and assaulted one of the officers.The statement claimed that after arriving at Mykonos police station, the three arrested individuals then “strongly resisted, pushing and hitting three police officers” and that “one of the detainees tried to offer money so that the trial against them would not be completed”.The police say a file has been opened which includes accusations of “violence against officials, disobedience, bodily harm, insult and attempted bribery of an official”.It is not known specifically what Maguire has been accused of.United’s season finished with a 2-1 defeat by Sevilla in the Europa League semi-finals on August 16.last_img read more

Mark Heisler on the NBA: The Too Long Goodbye: Kobe goes out as only he can

first_imgIf you’re wondering what point there is in Kobe Bryant going on from here …That’s a really good question.I know the answer: He’s Kobe.This isn’t just a game, it has been his life in a way that it may not ever have been for any other player. Actually, with his legacy safe and the direction of the season set, there’s nothing important at stake, crazed as it is making everyone.“Yeah, I’ve seen him play and it’s disgusting,” an opposing player told the Los Angeles Times, quoting sources anonymously as if tracking the Watergate burglars back to Richard Nixon.In real life, for every Bill Russell who goes out on top, 100 Michael Jordans, Kareem Abdul-Jabbars, Magic Johnsons, Larry Birds, Wilt Chamberlains and Jerry Wests leave as imitations of themselves and are revered nonetheless.Kobe carved his legacy in stone years back: Not as great as MJ or as controversial as Wilt, but close.It’s a long season. Lakers fans, denuded of hope, need something to care about. Before, it was getting rid of Mike D’Antoni, the outsider.Soon, it’ll be getting rid of Byron Scott, who’s Lakers family.Unfortunately for the Lakers, Kobe, Byron and Jim Buss can join hands and walk out without helping.Does someone think Gregg Popovich takes this team to the playoffs?I know someone who doesn’t: Pop.There’s an important question and it’s not how long Kobe, Bryon and Jimbo stay:Will they tank to keep their No. 1 pick, which goes to Philadelphia unless it’s No. 1, 2 or 3?Actually, the real question is whether the Lakers are decisive enough to grasp that sad necessity.All they have in the meantime are the emerging futures of D’Angelo Russell, Julius Randle and Jordan Clarkson, none of whom is the Next Kobe; their desperate hope of landing a big free agent and Bryant’s dead duck of a swan song.Now totally legacy-conscious, Bryant has been totally gracious, tortured as his explanations have become.The best was last week in Oakland after his marathon pre-game warmup, hoping to shock the world in the nationally televised game against the Warriors.Instead, the world got more of the same. The Lakes lost by 38. Kobe shot 1 for 14, dropping him to 31.1 percent, last in the NBA, as is his 19.5 percent on 3-pointers while taking seven, count ‘em, seven a game.Afterward, he said he got upset with how things were going, which “bothered me so I got out of my Zen.”He ran out of Zen a while back — April 12, 2013, when he tore his Achilles, ending a brilliant run (he averaged 30.5 with 7.0 rebounds and 7.5 assists that month) and the notion of he and Dwight Howard restoring the Lakers.Bryant hasn’t had his legs since. His shots are almost uniformly contested, flat and short.If it’s unseemly, he earned the right to go out this way. If he’s in denial, he earned that, too.No player may have been as devoted to the game. No one ever worked as hard at it.“It’s a game that he’s loved since he was able to talk,” said ESPN’s Bruce Bowen, his old San Antonio rival, “so who are we to say this player shouldn’t do this thing?“If that’s where his heart is, I think you have to respect that.”It’s true. Kobe once told me he realized he had a destiny to fulfill — when he was six.When he became a Laker at 17, weighing 165 pounds, he hired away Joe Carbone, the 76ers’ strength and conditioning coach whom he had worked with, and moved him across country as his personal trainer.At 29, Bryant’s work ethic awed young teammates on the 2007 U.S. national team like LeBron James, who didn’t know him — Kobe had been anything but chatty — and were leery of him until finding he was human, if forbidding.Several games into a qualifying tournament in Las Vegas, Coach Mike Krzyzewski gave his players a day off. They headed for golf courses, tables and high-end stores, except Kobe, who went back to the Thomas and Mack Center to work out.You don’t just switch off his kind of devotion and determination.This may be all he has left but it’s safe, too: Kobe is going out Kobe.Mark Heisler has written an NBA column since 1991 and was honored with the Naismith Hall of Fame’s Curt Gowdy Award in 2006. His column is published Sundays in Los Angeles News Group print editions.center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Pacers’ Victor Oladipo opts out of NBA restart

first_imgThe two-time All-Star guard — who has played just 13 games this season after taking the floor only 36 times in 2018-19 — cited his lengthy injury history when explaining why he has opted out of the rest of the season.MORE: List of players opting out of NBA restart”I feel like I’m at a great place in my rehab and getting closer and closer to 100 percent,” Oladipo said. “With all the variables, from how I have to build my 5-on-5 workload back up, to the increased risk of a soft tissue injury which could delay my rehab, and the unknown exact set up of the bubble, I just can’t get my mind to being fully comfortable in playing.” The Pacers are fifth in the Eastern Conference at 39-26 this season as they prepare for the NBA’s 22-team plan to finish the 2019-20 season in Orlando starting on July 30. The first of Indiana’s eight seeding games is on Aug. 1 against the Philadelphia 76ers.  The team is also without guard Jeremy Lamb, who tore the ACL in his left knee in February.  #IndianaStyle x @VicOladipo pic.twitter.com/9QuYi0W3Mv— Indiana Pacers (@Pacers) July 2, 2020″I really want to play, and as a competitor and teammate this is tearing me apart,” Oladipo said. “I have to be smart and this decision hasn’t been easy, but I truly believe continuing the course I’m on and getting fully healthy for the 2020-21 season is the right decision for me.” MORE: Key dates, schedule for restart of NBA season The second overall pick in the 2013 draft, Oladipo’s best season was his first with the Pacers, averaging 23.1 points, 5.2 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 2.4 steals over 75 games in 2017-18.  It looked as if Oladipo had finally blossomed into a player worthy of his draft slot, but rupturing tendons in his quadriceps twice has prevented the 28-year-old from making consistent contributions over the last two seasons.  Oladipo joins a growing list of players who have opted out of the restart, including Washington Wizards forward Davis Bertans, Los Angeles Lakers guard Avery Bradley and Portland Trail Blazers forward Trevor Ariza. Victor Oladipo has chosen not to join the Indiana Pacers for the restart of the 2019-20 NBA season in Orlando, Fla., saying that he would not be comfortable playing.  Oladipo announced his decision on Friday in an article with The Athletic.  last_img read more