NZ tourism boosted by same-sex marriage

first_imgOneNews 19 August 2014The tourism industry has been given a boost by the legislation of gay marriage with new figures revealing a quarter of same-sex couples married have been Australian.Nearly 1,000 same-sex couples have been married since the passing of the Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Act one year ago.The Department of Internal Affairs says provisional figures show 532 of the couples were New Zealanders while 237 were Australian.Same-sex marriage stats:• Female-Female = 520 (of these 119 were a change of relationship from civil union)o 333 couples from New Zealando 118 couples from Australiao 11 couples from Chinao nine couples from Singaporeo seven couples from United Kingdom• Male-Male = 406 (of these 95 were a change of relationship from civil union)o 199 couples from New Zealando 120 couples from Australiao 17 couples from Chinao six couples from Thailando six couples from the United Kingdom• Civil Unions = 66 (equivalent period 2012/13 = 331)o 15 were female coupleso 13 were male coupleso 38 were male/female coupleshttp://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/nz-tourism-boosted-same-sex-marriage-6060011last_img read more

Lambert in dark over Villa future

first_imgVictory over Hull may have all but assured Aston Villa safety from relegation, but manager Paul Lambert remains in the dark about owner Randy Lerner’s intentions for the club. Press Association Speculation that Lerner will look to sell the club this summer has been growing since he released a vague statement last month which indicated only that he would clarify his own position at the end of the season. With Barclays Premier League football now virtually assured following the 3-1 victory at Villa Park, all eyes are on the American businessman’s next move. “They came through it and if they came through that they can come through everything in their careers. “I thought they were outstanding and we deserved to win.” Hull boss Steve Bruce, whose side slipped below Villa and into 15th place after their third successive game without a win, admitted FA Cup final fever has had an effect on his side. Attention in East Yorkshire has been focused firmly on the May 17 trip to Wembley since last month’s semi-final success over Sheffield United, but Bruce has been battling hard to keep his players on the task at hand. As yet, it is a battle he has been losing. “I’ve said for the last couple of weeks we have to keep focused,” he said. “The whole city is talking about the FA Cup final and why shouldn’t it be? But it’s been very, very difficult to keep a lid on it when we’ve still got a little bit of work to do. “It’s at the forefront of everybody’s mind and that’s only human nature because it’s something we’re all looking forward to. “But we didn’t do enough to win this game. We were so sloppy, awful in our defending. “We didn’t get started and didn’t show that resilience you need to win a game or draw a game in the Premier League.” But Lambert, whose own future is uncertain as a result of perceived instability at the top, has no inside track. Asked what developments he expected at boardroom level, the Scot said: “You’re asking me a question I can’t give an answer to and that’s me being honest. “The chairman will come out and say what he’s going to say and I really don’t know what he will say. His statement is what it is. I understand what has gone on in the last few weeks and I’m pretty sure people will find out soon.” Lambert was more comfortable reflecting on footballing matters, with a first win in seven matches delivered by Ashley Westwood’s opener inside the first minute and a pair of headers from Andreas Weimann. Pressure had been mounting by the week and Lambert was pleased to see the response he wanted both on and off the field. “The crowd was excellent,” he said. “I think people were probably thinking there would be some animosity towards myself – and if that happens you’ve got to accept it – but the start we got put everybody in a good frame of mind. “This game was huge. I’ve been involved in some massive games before, but the pressure on this one was incredible. last_img read more

FB : Last time they played: Syracuse 34, Toledo 7

first_img Published on September 22, 2011 at 12:00 pm Comments Walter Reyes had a wide smile on his face when he struck the Heisman pose after Syracuse’s win over Central Florida. And a week later, when the Orangemen played Toledo, Reyes further bolstered his case for the Heisman Trophy.The SU running back followed up a 241-yard, four-touchdown UCF game with 162 yards rushing and two touchdowns against the Rockets.Reyes gave credit to his offensive line for opening up gaping holes to run through following the game.‘The (offensive line) makes holes about this big,’ Reyes said in an article published by The Daily Orange on Sept. 29, 2003.  ‘At first, I’m expecting to get hit and then it’s like, ‘Oh, here we go.”With the help of his offensive line, Reyes led Syracuse to a 34-7 throttling of Toledo. Reyes couldn’t be contained, busting out for two touchdown runs of 61 yards and 43 yards in length. The Orangemen combined its fierce running attack that went for 303 yards on 47 carries with a stingy pass defense to easily beat the Rockets.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAfter the win over Toledo, Reyes led the nation in rushing with 170.3 yards per game and scoring with 15.5 points per game. He finished the year with 1,347 yards rushing, 975 receiving and 20 touchdowns rushing on the season.The Orangemen improved to 3-1 after stifling the Rockets. The Syracuse defense was prepared for Toledo’s short passing scheme. The Rockets were only able to gain 57 yards on 13 screen plays.Syracuse defensive coordinator Chris Rippon recognized Bruce Gradkowski’s tendency to throw the short pass. Gradkowski threw the ball 50 times, but the Orangemen held the Toledo quarterback to just 5.1 yards per pass.‘Their passing game is really more like a running game,’ Rippon said to The Daily Orange after the game. ‘It’s a lot of short passes, a lot of screen passes.’The Orangemen controlled the clock, running 39 plays before halftime. Reyes’ ability to break free for big plays even astounded his teammates. The nearly 36,000 fans in the Carrier Dome took notice, too, giving him a standing ovation.‘He just bursts through that hole, and it opens like the Red Sea,’ tight end Lenny Cusumano said to The Daily Orange after the game. ‘Walter gets up in there, the hole opens up and he takes it to the house. It’s just unbelievable the way he hits that hole.’Toledo only mustered one touchdown in the third quarter, and by that time the Orangemen were already out in front 27-0.‘I can’t say that we anticipated that they would only score seven points,’ SU head coach Paul Pasqualoni said to The Daily Orange after the game. ‘But one of the objectives on defense was to bend, slow it down and try not to break.’Reyes was able to outrun the whole Rockets’ defense on his two touchdowns. Despite overextending his quad on one play, the Orangemen continued to feed Reyes the ball rather than turn to backup Damien Rhodes. The Rockets were unable to find a remedy for the Orangemen running attack.‘We tried to run blitz on those short-yardage plays and make a big play,’ Toledo head coach Tom Amstutz said to The Daily Orange after the game. ‘He made some moves, found a hole and just took off.’— Compiled by Andrew Tredinnick, asst. copy editor, [email protected]center_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Sydney awaits new events facility

center_img Sydney’s Exhibition Centre @ Glebe Island is expected to open in February 2014, with a full calendar of summer events planned. Glebe Island will be regularly serviced by a free special events ferry from Darling Harbour and shuttle buses from Central Station. Construction at Glebe Island will take place over the next four to five months, with the new facility due to open in February of next year.last_img