South Korea’s Doosan Heavy, SK E&C link up to target floating offshore wind projects

first_imgSouth Korea’s Doosan Heavy, SK E&C link up to target floating offshore wind projects FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Recharge:Doosan Heavy Industries will link with compatriot infrastructure giant SK Engineering & Construction (SK E&C) to develop and equip floating wind projects, in another move by South Korea’s industrial heavyweights to grab a share of what’s set to be a huge build-out off its coasts. SK E&C will develop projects, including obtaining licences, and Doosan Heavy “manufacture key equipment” for the wind farms under the joint push, described as a “technical cooperation agreement”.For Doosan Heavy the announcement marks a big statement of ambition in floating wind by the power systems giant, which is currently undergoing a major corporate restructuring that will see it pivot to renewables as part of a bail-out by the South Korean government. Doosan Heavy is working on an 8MW turbine and said it would invest in R&D and production facilities to support growth of its floating wind business.Inwon Park, CEO of Doosan Heavy’s Plant EPC business group, said: “Given the rising interest in floating offshore wind farms, the signing of this agreement will open up more business opportunities for us in the market. We will endeavor to successfully pursue the floating offshore wind power business, including projects in the Ulsan and Southeast region of Korea, where we expect to see phased growth starting in 2023.”For Doosan Heavy, attempts to carve out a significant position in offshore wind mark a return to an industry it walked away from in 2012, citing a lack of confidence that the sector would take off. At that stage it was talking about launching a 6MW turbine by 2015 and building a turbine factory in Scotland.Doosan and SK E&C – the latter a global player in power plants and civil engineering construction – are not the only South Korean big-hitters to target floating wind, backed by the determination of the country’s government to secure a role for domestic players.South Korea is expected in the second half of the decade to deploy major floating projects as part of the country’s plan to install 12GW of offshore wind by 2030. Floating is seen as big opportunity for a nation where the best winds are in deep waters and fixed projects nearer to shore have met with fierce opposition. The world’s biggest portfolio of floating wind so far was unveiled by Total and Macquarie when they linked to develop 2GW off the nation’s coasts.[Andrew Lee]More: Doosan Heavy in floating wind push with fellow South Korean giantlast_img read more

FBI issues alert on mobile banking app cybersecurity threats

first_imgThe FBI released an alert to warn the public about anticipated exploitation of mobile banking app platforms as in-person access to financial institutions has been limited amid the coronavirus pandemic.“Americans are increasingly using their mobile devices to conduct banking activities such as cashing checks and transferring funds,” the FBI noted in the alert, issued last week. “US financial technology providers estimate more than 75 percent of Americans used mobile banking in some form in 2019.”The alert warns against app-based banking trojans, which are “malicious programs that disguise themselves as other apps, such as games out tools,” and fake banking apps, which are designed to impersonate the real apps of major financial institutions.In addition, the FBI provides tips to protect both consumers and financial institutions from these threats, including: continue reading » 6SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

East Patchogue Couple Dies in House Fire

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York An elderly couple died when their East Patchogue home caught fire on Thursday afternoon, Suffolk County police said.Officers responded to a call of a house fire on Swezey Street after neighbors saw flames emanating from the couple’s home and unsuccessfully tried to enter the residence to rescue them at 12:36 p.m., police said.Firefighters from the Patchogue Fire Department and seven surrounding departments responded and extinguished the flames.Angeline Romeo, 85, and her 88-year-old husband, Alfred, were found dead on the first floor.Homicide Section and Arson Section detectives are continuing the investigation, but a preliminary review has determined that the cause of the fire does not appear to be criminal.last_img read more

Paul Merson criticises Frank Lampard after Bournemouth stun struggling Chelsea

first_imgBournemouth secured a narrow victory in west London (Picture: Getty)Lampard brought on Callum Hudson-Odoi and Michy Batshuayi before Bournemouth scored – with Jorginho one of the players to make way – and Merson felt the Chelsea manager got his tactics wrong.ADVERTISEMENTAsked about Bournemouth’s performance, the Arsenal legend told Sky Sports: ‘They definitely didn’t deserve to lose but they didn’t dominate Chelsea.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘I watch Chelsea a lot and if you can get through the first 20 minutes against them, their confidence seems to go.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘They’ve got a lot of young players and they are easy to play against sometimes. The pitch looks so small for the way they want to play, it just looks to easy to defend against.’Moving on to the Chelsea manager, Merson said: ‘With Frank, it’s not a good day at the office for him. It was 0-0 and sometimes you have to swallow the pill and settle for a draw.‘He takes off Jorginho and brings on Hudson-Odoi and Batshuayi. Tammy Abraham was already on so he has all these forwards on, everyone is bumping into each other. Paul Merson criticises Frank Lampard after Bournemouth stun struggling Chelsea Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 14 Dec 2019 5:42 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1kShares Comment Frank Lampard’s Chelsea suffered a defeat to Bournemouth in the Premier League (Picture: Getty)Paul Merson criticised Frank Lampard after his struggling Chelsea team were stunned by Bournemouth at Stamford Bridge.Injury-ravaged Bournemouth clinched a 1-0 victory in west London on Saturday as Chelsea slipped to their fourth defeat from five league games.The Premier League clash appeared to be heading for a goalless draw but Dan Gosling scored Bournemouth’s winner on 84 minutes after a VAR review.center_img Paul Merson felt Lampard got his tactics wrong (Picture: Getty)‘I think Chelsea will need to go into the market next month. This is a crisis now. If other results go the wrong way for them, their lead [over the top-four] could be down to two points.‘They’ve got Tottenham away next. It’s hard for them now. I think they have to go in the market. This squad, for me, doesn’t get into the top four.’Lampard, meanwhile, reflected on a disappointing performance from his Chelsea side.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesHe said: ‘It’s a home loss. Not good enough from us which is the story at the minute. We need to be better.‘We needed more urgency and we have to make it more difficult for them.‘Top teams show consistency and that’s what we’re striving for. There’s a lot of work to do.’MORE: Jermaine Jenas sends surprising message to Chelsea board after Bournemouth defeat Advertisement Advertisementlast_img read more

IWF insists Ajan must not return as President

first_img Promoted Content6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?A Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This DayYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Anime7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The World9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo10 Hyper-Realistic 3D Street Art By OdeithBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them7 Things That Actually Ruin Your Phone7 Of The Most Incredible Antarctica Conspiracy TheoriesFantastic-Looking (and Probably Delicious) Bread Art12 Movies That Almost Ended Their Stars’ Careers Aján has denied all allegations made against him, and said in a statement earlier this month: “I continue to believe that the ongoing independent investigation will demonstrate the ARD’s allegations to be baseless where they concern the IWF and me personally”. The Hungarian has held senior roles at the IWF for 44 years. He was general secretary from 1976 to 2000, and has been President since then. His fifth term is due to expire in April 2021, by when the postponed Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games may or may not have taken place. He was an International Olympic Committee (IOC) member for 10 years from 2000, and an honorary member since 2010, but he resigned from his honorary membership on March 3 because, he said, he wanted “to save the Olympic Movement from negative rumours and subsequent inconvenience.” Papandrea’s term as Acting President could be extended further “at the sole discretion of the Executive Board” according to the new document, which features 26 terms of reference for her own role, plus 12 other conditions. One of the terms of reference states that the Acting President “will oversee, manage and delegate relations with National Federations, the IOC, the Sport Accord, ASOIF (Association of Summer Olympic International Federations), National Olympic Committees and other organisations and individuals”. When leaders of 33 International Federations took part in a teleconference organised by the IOC on March 18, the IWF was represented by Aján. Read Also:Aján’s 44-year reign at IWF under threat as Executive Board members demand change Members of the IWF Board, including Maxim Agapitov of Russia and Nicu Vlad of Romania, criticised Aján in late January. Agapitov said Aján was “continuing to do what he likes and not what the Executive Board had in mind when it determined to elect Ursula Papandrea as Acting President”. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Tamás Aján will not return to his duties as planned next month because his “stand-aside” from the Presidency of the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF) has been extended by two months. Aján originally agreed to step aside for 90 days from January 22 while Richard McLaren’s team of investigators looked into allegations of corruption, which were raised in a German TV documentary. He intended to resume his duties on April 22 but the IWF Executive Board has mandated Ursula Papandrea to continue as Acting President until June 19. The IWF’s Oversight and Integrity Commission, which is chaired by Papandrea, has also been mandated to continue its work until June 19. The Commission was set up in January to oversee the McLaren investigation, and IWF operations while those investigations are ongoing, No announcement has been made by the IWF and Papandrea did not wish to comment, but new documents have been posted on the IWF website. “On January 5, 2020 the ARD Television station aired the show Der Herr de Heber, a video by Hajo Seppelt, Nick Butler and Gritt Hartmann detailing allegations primarily against the IWF President, Dr Tamás Aján. “Within the documentary, allegations were raised with respect to financial irregularities, corruption, doping control distribution, doping sample manipulation, doping payment irregularities, doping activities in specific nations and nepotism. “On January 22, 2020, the Executive Board appointed IWF vice-president Ursula Garza Papandrea to the post of IWF Acting President for 90 days, with oversight responsibility for the investigation and the IWF’s day-to-day operations. “On March 21, 2020, the Executive Board extended the mandate for the Acting President to end June 19 2020.” The document was posted yesterday, and the signatories “for and on behalf of the IWF” are Papandrea and the IWF general secretary Mohammed Jalood.last_img read more