We won’t rest on laurels – Fergie

first_img United will not get their hands on the Premier League trophy for another fortnight, yet already minds are turning to the best way of strengthening Ferguson’s squad. Whilst the United boss believes only a couple of additions are required, he has been told additional cash will be available if the right man comes along. “Having spoken with the Glazer family, there is every intention to kick on,” Ferguson said. “We possibly need two players. It depends. If a player came along who met our criteria we would push the boat out and get him, irrespective of how many players we have.” Press Association The Glazer family have assured Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson they intend to “kick on” from the club’s record 20th championship.center_img It is bad news for United’s domestic rivals, given they are already well behind. Not that such an easy stroll to championship glory can be anticipated next term, with Manchester City sure to strengthen and Ferguson expecting a renewed threat from Chelsea, especially if Jose Mourinho returns to Stamford Bridge. “Chelsea will definitely be involved next year,” the Scot said. “They have some good players and it looks likely Mourinho will be going there.” United head to Arsenal still with the aim of reaching Chelsea’s Premier League points record of 95 points, which they would eclipse by winning their remaining four games. It is those little targets that allow Ferguson to attain so many big ones, and ensure he is never short of an incentive to motivate his players. “I said last week I don’t mind winning the league in the last game of the season,” he said. “Now we have won the league with four games left, I look at it as being one thing to win the league, another to do it by beating the record. Ninety-six points would be phenomenal. I don’t know if that could ever be beaten.” Ferguson has a few “bumps and bruises” to assess before he finalises his line-up although Paul Scholes will not be in it. However, Ferguson is hopeful of having the veteran midfielder, who has not played since January due to a knee injury, back to make what could be his farewell appearance against Swansea at Old Trafford on May 12. “Paul is back training now,” Ferguson said. “He has been training for a week and is obviously not ready for Sunday but hopefully we will have him ready for Swansea in the last home game of the season.” last_img read more

Update on the latest in sports:

first_img Associated Press Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditTOKYO DATESTokyo Olympics rescheduledUNDATED (AP) — Tokyo Olympics organizers have rescheduled the Summer Games that were postponed last week by the coronavirus. An MSU police spokesman told ESPN on Monday that the attorney general’s office requested the case file and the department was cooperating.After a loss at Indiana on Jan. 23, coach Tom Izzo told reporters that Washington had been suspended. He did not elaborate.Washington did not play again this season. He played a total of 19 minutes this season before the suspension.MLB-RED SOX-SALESale has elbow surgery Smart posted a message on Twitter saying he was informed of the news Friday by the Massachusetts Department of Health. He thanked everyone for their support.Boston played the Utah Jazz on March 6. Five days later, Jazz All-Star Rudy Gobert announced he had tested positive for COVID-19, triggering rolling shutdowns of sports around the world.Smart had been in isolation since testing positive on March 19 and was being monitored by Celtics medical staff. His teammates, coaches and staff members were also tested, but those tests have come back negative.NFL-NEWSReid promotes probe, re-vote over post-ballot changes to CBA Organizers say the opening ceremony will take place on July 23, 2021, almost one year to the day the games originally were due to begin. There had been talk of switching the Olympics to spring, a move that would coincide with the blooming of Japan’s famous cherry blossoms. But it would have clashed with European soccer and North American sports leagues.The new Olympic dates conflict with the scheduled world championships in track and swimming, but those events are now expected to also be pushed back. All sports federations involved in the Olympics signed off on the new dates.The governing body of track and field says it supports the new dates for the Tokyo Olympics and is working with organizers in Eugene, Oregon, to move its world championships to 2022.In other Olympic news:— Tokyo Olympic Committee CEO Toshiro Muto is promising transparency in calculating the costs of reschedule the Olympic Games. Katsuhiro Miyamoto, an emeritus professor of sports economics at Kansai University, puts the costs as high as $4 billion. That would cover the price of maintaining stadiums, refitting them, paying rentals, penalties and other expenses. Japan is officially spending $12.6 billion to organize the Olympics. However, an audit bureau of the Japanese government says the costs are twice that much. All of the spending is public money except $5.6 billion from a privately funded operating budget. March 30, 2020 British boxer has license suspended over video commentsCARDIFF, Wales (AP) — British boxer Billy Joe Saunders had his boxing license suspended Monday after publishing a social media video in which he appeared to condone domestic violence amid the coronavirus outbreak.The WBO super-middleweight champion filmed himself working out and offered men advice on how to hit their female partners during the lockdown.The British Boxing Board of Control says it investigated Saunders’ comments and decided to suspend his license under the regulations for misconduct.,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 In other news involving the pandemic:— USA Rugby has decided to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy because its financial woes have been exacerbated by the coronavirus shutdown. USA Rugby has been in financial strife since 2018. A recent attempt to restructure was set back this month when it had to suspend all activities indefinitely in the face of the pandemic.NBA-CELTICS-SMARTSmart says he’s been clearedBOSTON (AP) — Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart says he has been cleared by medical officials after testing positive for the new coronavirus earlier this month. UNDATED (AP) — Free agent safety Eric Reid wants the NFL’s new collective bargaining agreement invalidated over language added following ratification of the pact earlier this month.He is calling for an investigation and a re-vote.In a letter to the NFLPA on Monday, Reid’s lawyers said language posted on the players association’s website after passage of the agreement by a 1,019-959 vote on March 15 contains different language than the one players signed off on.The letter highlights a difference in wording in the section about the league’s disability plan that affects hundreds, and potentially thousands, of ex-players who applied for Social Security disability insurance payments before Jan. 1, 2015. In the version the players received and approved, those offsets applied only to players who applied after Jan. 1, 2015.The new CBA is set to begin with the upcoming 2020 season and extend through 2030.center_img Update on the latest in sports: Elsewhere in the NFL:— Free-agent punter Sam Martin has signed a three-year, $7 million package with the Broncos. Martin has averaged 46 yards per punt with a 40.9-yard net average, 38 touchbacks and 175 punts inside the 20-yard line during his seven NFL seasons.— Receiver Darius Jennings has signed a contract with the Chargers after spending the last two seasons with the Titans. Jennings led the league in kick return average in 2018 and had a 94-yard return for a touchdown against Miami. Jennings appeared in eight games for Tennessee last year before becoming a restricted free agent.— The Steelers have signed three XFL players, givng one-year deals to defensive end Dewayne Hendrix, safety Tyree Kinnel and linebacker/long snapper Christian Kuntz. All three played in the startup league that suspended operations earlier this month because of the COVID-19 pandemic.COLLEGE BASKETBALL-NBA Perry opts for draftUNDATED (AP) — Two more high-profile college basketball players are leaving campus early, while a third is giving it strong consideration.Mississippi State forward Reggie Perry has entered the NBA draft. The 6-foot-10, 250-pound sophomore was selected as The Associated Press co-Southeastern Conference player of the year after ranking in the top 10 of several conference categories. Perry led the SEC in rebounds last season with 10.1 per game, ranked sixth in scoring at 17.4 points and ninth in blocks with 1.2.Arizona State junior point guard Remy Martin has declared for the draft, saying he’s decided to take another step into making his dream a reality. Martin led the Sun Devils with 19.1 points. 4.1 assists and 3.1 rebounds in 2019-20, putting them on the cusp of a third straight NCAA Tournament appearance before the college basketball postseason was halted by the coronavirus. He was named first team all-Pac-12 by The Associated Press.Michigan forward Isaiah Livers is applying for early entry into the NBA draft. However, the school says Livers is not hiring an agent and will work with the Michigan coaching staff during the evaluation and pre-draft processes. Even if a player does use an agent during the evaluation process, he can return to school without losing eligibility if he ends the relationship with the agent. Livers has started 46 games in three seasons at Michigan. He led the Wolverines in scoring this season at 12.9 points per game, although he was limited to 21 games because of injury problems.COLLEGE BASKETBALL-MICHIGAN STATE-SEXUAL ASSAULTWoman wants Michigan AG to investigate sexual assault accusation against MSU playerEAST LANSING, Mich. (AP) — A woman who said she was sexually assaulted by a Michigan State basketball player is asking the Michigan attorney general’s office to investigate, according to a published report.Citing a police report and emails obtained through a public records request, ESPN is reporting that Michigan State University police told prosecutors they had probable cause that sophomore guard Brock Washington raped the woman on Jan. 19 while she was too intoxicated to consent. Police referred the case to county prosecutors, who declined to file charges this month. NCAA-SPRING ELIGIBILITYNCAA adds another year of eligibility for spring athletesUNDATED (AP) — The NCAA will permit spring sport athletes who had their seasons shortened by the coronavirus outbreak to have an additional year of eligibility.The NCAA Division I Council has voted to give college athletes who compete in spring sports such as baseball, softball and lacrosse a way to get back the season they lost. However, the council did not guarantee financial aid. Winter sports were not included in the decision.The amount of scholarship money available to each athlete will be determined by the athlete’s school. Roster limits will be adjusted to fit returning athletes along with incoming freshman. VIRUS OUTBREAK-NATIONAL TENNIS CENTERNational Tennis Center aiding coronavirus battleNEW YORK (AP) — The site of the U.S. Open tennis tournament in New York is going to be used for 350 temporary hospital beds and to prepare food packages during the coronavirus pandemic.U.S. Tennis Association spokesman Chris Widmaier says an area that houses indoor courts at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows will begin to be converted into a medical facility starting Tuesday.New York state and city officials are trying to increase hospital capacity by up to 87,000 beds to handle the outbreak. BOSTON (AP) — The Boston Red Sox say starting pitcher Chris Sale has undergone successful Tommy John surgery.Sale is expected to miss 14-15 months, which would bring him back in the middle of the 2021 season.The Red Sox said during training camp that he had a flexor strain near the elbow, but the team hoped he would avoid ligament replacement surgery.The seven-time All-Star is 109-73 in 10 major league seasons and entering the second season of a six-year, $160 million contract. He comes off his worst season as a full-time starter, going 6-11 with a 4.40 ERA in 25 starts.BOXING-SAUNDERS-LICENSE SUSPENDEDlast_img read more

Players’ body urges ICC to address  contract breaches, non-payment

first_imgBy Amlan ChakrabortyNEW DELHI (Reuters) – A third of international male cricketers have not been paid or suffered breaches of contract from events regulated by the global governing body or its member nations, the international players’ federation said on Monday. The Federation of International Cricketers’ Associations (FICA) said after the release of its ‘Men’s Global Employment Report 2020’ that the International Cricket Council (ICC) had a duty to protect those working within its regulatory framework.An ICC spokesman told Reuters that the body was looking at the contents of the report. The report cited examples such as Bangladesh players not receiving their share of prize money from an ICC event, and their counterparts in Zimbabwe, another ICC full member, still waiting for their board to pay their contracts.It also listed unresolved payment issues in Twenty20 and 10-overs leagues in several minor cricket-playing nations including Canada, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar.“Systematic contract breaches and non-payment of players are issues that urgently need addressing,” FICA Chief Executive Tom Moffat said. “The ICC has an obligation to protect people working within its regulatory frameworks and it’s time something was done about this issue. “We continue to urge decision makers to work with FICA at global level, and players’ associations at domestic level, to develop joint solutions to issues … many of which are likely to be exacerbated by the current global situation.”FICA also called for an end to “blanket bans on players from certain countries playing abroad” and limitations on the number of overseas league contracts a player may hold.last_img read more

USC comes away with convincing sweep

first_imgThe USC men’s tennis team’s clinched the Pac-10 title Tuesday with a hard-fought 7-0 win over UC Irvine.Although No. 1 junior Steve Johnson struggled in singles play, he still walked away with a victory, 6-4, 6-7 (10-2), against the Anteaters’ Chris Kearney.Strong play · Freshman Ray Sarmiento won his singles and doubles matches Tuesday, helping lead the Trojans to victory over the Anteaters. – Mannat Saini | Daily Trojan Johnson and No. 41 Kearney battled, but Johnson was finally able to seal the deal to keep his perfect record intact.“I was not worried at all [about Johnson],” said freshman Ray Sarmiento. “He knows how to win in those situations.”Every Trojan except Johnson handed the Anteaters losses in straight sets. Senior Jaak Poldma and senior Peter Lucassen won decisively, 6-3, 6-2 and 6-2, 6-1, respectively, in their last home matches of the regular season.After trailing on court three, Nguyen rallied back to come out 6-4, 6-1 against Shan Sondhu. Freshman Emilio Gomez quietly and quickly pocketed a 6-2, 6-3 victory at the No. 5 spot in his match against Stege.Sarmiento won his singles match against Irvine’s Ryan Cheung 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 4 spot.USC’s three double pairs proved too much for UC Irvine. Sarmiento paired with junior Daniel Nguyen at No. 3 to defeat Sam Gould and Jon Kazarian, 8-4.“We clicked,” Sarmiento said. “We were playing well together and working well together and moving well together. If we do that, then everything else happens.”Poldma and sophomore J.T. Sundling played at the No. 1 spot and beat Kearney and Stephen Stege, 8-2. At No. 2, Johnson and Gomez took away an 8-3 win against Cheung and Fabian Matthews.“We took care of business,” Sarmiento said. “We respect them as a team, too. We know they’re dangerous and they’re talented and we just came out and fought back.”The victory gave USC its fifth consecutive 20-win season.The Trojans next square off against crosstown rival No. 9 UCLA at 3 p.m. on Friday.last_img read more