Bakery company Dawn Foods has appointed Carrie Jones-Barber as its new chief executive.She is the third generation of the Jones family to head the company, following her father Ron Jones. He and Miles Jones will remain involved in the running of the organisation in new roles as chairman and co-chairman. Ms Jones-Barber most recently served as president of Dawn Foods International and has held a number of senior positions at the company. She plans to further establish it as a world leader in sweet bakery production.
Dawn Foods (Evesham, Worcestershire) has scooped silver at this year’s Great Taste Awards for its Triple Chocolate Truffle Muffin – part of the Adore brand of premium baked goods.Using ingredients such as free range eggs and real chocolate chunks, the range also includes the Belgian Chocolate Indulgence Loaf Cake, the Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookie and the Chewy Chocolate Fudge Brownie.Adore products were introduced at House of Fraser restaurants earlier this year.Louise Hodgson, food development and product manager at Massarella Catering Group, which supplies HoF, comments: “We have placed them on the counter next to the checkout and they have gone down exceedingly well with our customers.”
The baking industry has moved one step closer to establishing a National Skills Academy for Bakery, after a shortlist of academic institutions invited to bid to become the ’network champion’ was decided this week.Campden & Chorleywood Food Research Association and Leeds Thomas Danby are now in the running for the role, which would initially involve acting as the pilot centre before co-ordinating the national roll-out of a wholly new skills agenda.As part of the process, current qualifications could be streamlined to better meet the needs of employers, including minimising the number of days employees spend away from work on training per week.Dave Brooks, chair of the National Skills Academy Bakery Steering Group, said he wanted to get the pilot up and running “as quickly as possible”, which would probably involve the Academy going live in 2009.Details of possible funding, training provision, curriculum and marketing are now being thrashed out, following feedback from employers and associations. The steering group is also in discussions with major retailers, including Tesco, Morrisons and Sainsbury’s.Despite stepping down as chief executive of Finsbury Food Group this week (News, page 6), Brooks will remain chair for the planned six-month lifespan of the group.
== Calorie clarity ==Pret A Manger and Subway are among 18 major catering companies introducing calorie information on their menus for the first time, initially on a trial basis. Pret is to trial it in one store initially, with plans to expand to a further 24 shops. Subway stated it would display it in a minimum of six stores initially. The move coincided with the first annual report of the government’s obesity strategy Healthy Weight, Healthy Lives – One Year On.== Costa reaches 900 ==Costa Coffee this week broke through the 900-store mark as the branded coffee shop sector showed little sign of a slowdown in the recession. With a new outlet opening in London’s Piccadilly on Wednesday, a spokesperson told British Baker that Costa would open 100 stores in 2009. Costa also spent £150,000 on the opening this week of its third barista training academy in Newbury.== Supermarket agenda ==A new business development programme designed to help food and drink producers secure supermarket listings has been launched by development organisation Scotland Food & Drink, Sainsbury’s and the Scottish Government. Eleven food and drink companies, including Kingdom Bakery, Mey Selections and Murdoch Allen & Sons, will start the six-month programme this month.—-=== On the web ===l New chairman of the NSA’s bakery steering group Ian Thomson, talks about the group’s strategyl British Baker is now on Twitter – follow us at http://twitter.com/BritishBakerl Chester based-bakers P&A Davies teams up with California Raisins on local Chester radioTo read the full stories check out bakeryinfo.co.uk
The NAMB is delighted to welcome the following new and returning members:George SergiouAnthony’s Bakery43 Bridgewater StreetLiverpool L1 OARMr Gerard LazerasCrusty Crust Ltdt/a Monicas Patisserie314 Lymington RoadHighcliffeChristchurchDorset BH23 5ETMr John RobertshawJ R Food SolutionsRiver CottageAcaster SelbyYorkNorth Yorkshire YO23 7BPMrs GianelliTicino Bakery Limited176/178 Bermondsey StreetBermondseyLondon SE1 3TQ
Northern Foods’ shareholders are waiting for details of a cash bid from poultry magnate Ranjit Boparan, which values the company at £342m.The board has given its backing to a bid from the owner of 2 Sisters, despite previously agreeing on the terms of a merger with Irish convenience group Greencore, which would have created Essenta Foods through an all-share bid. The boards at both firms said late last year that merger benefits would include the combining of their significant positions in the manufacture of products such as pizzas, pies, selected cakes and desserts.Boparan has until 19 February to post offer documents to shareholders thought to include further details of his plans for Northern’s pensions deficit.
Foodservice packaging supplier Cap-It-All has introduced high-quality lightweight PET drink cups for caterers and foodservice operators on a tighter budget.The new Euro-style cups have strength and rigidity, meaning that less PET is needed, so the cups are competitively priced and better for the environment.The cups come in five sizes 250cl, 300cl, 350cl, 550cl and 650cl and each features a line marked at 50cl lower than the maximum fill. All cups can be printed in up to five colours for minimum runs of 50,000.There are also four lids offered flat lids (plain or straw-cut) and dome lids (closed or with a central opening) available in two sizes, the smaller for the 250cl, 300cl and 350cl cups and the larger for the 550cl and 650cl cups.
Facebook By Associated Press – February 20, 2020 0 224 Democratic presidential candidates, Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., left, and former Vice President Joe Biden gesture during a Democratic presidential primary debate Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2020, in Las Vegas, hosted by NBC News and MSNBC. (AP Photo/John Locher) LAS VEGAS (AP) — From the opening bell, Democrats savaged New York billionaire Mike Bloomberg and raised pointed questions about Bernie Sanders’ take-no-prisoners politics during a contentious debate Wednesday night.The aggressive confrontation in Las Vegas threatened to further scramble the party’s urgent quest to defeat President Donald Trump in November. Bloomberg, the former New York mayor, was forced to defend his divisive record on race, gender and Wall Street in his debate-stage debut.Sanders, appearing in his ninth debate of the 2020 primary season, tried to beat back pointed questions about his health and his ability to defeat Trump as a self-described “democratic socialist.” Previous articleGeorge Zimmerman suing presidential candidates Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth WarrenNext articleTwo people shot on Pearl Street in Elkhart taken to hospital Associated PressNews from the Associated Press and its network of reporters and publications. Pinterest Debate night brawl: Bloomberg, Sanders attacked by rivals IndianaLocalMichiganNationalNews Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Twitter Google+ Google+ WhatsApp Pinterest
WhatsApp Pinterest Facebook WhatsApp Twitter (Photo supplied/Indiana Michigan Power) Nearly 17,000 Indiana Michigan Power customers lost electricity due, in part, to wind gusts that topped 70 miles per hour in spots. By 11 p.m., Saturday, the number of outages was reduced to more than 3,000.Track Indiana Michigan Power outages hereStrong thunderstorms with significant lightning and high winds swept through southwest Michigan and northern Indiana Friday night and early Saturday, disrupting service to nearly 20,000 customers in both Michiana and the Fort Wayne area.By 8:30 a.m. Saturday, I&M had restored nearly 30% of those customers. Crews are in the field to restore outages in southwest Michigan, northeast Indiana and in the South Bend/Elkhart area and will continue working until all customers are restored.Southwest Michigan was the hardest-hit area, with heavy tree damage reported and recorded wind gusts of 68 mph in Buchanan and 64 mph in Benton Harbor.ESTIMATED RESTORATION TIMESEstimated Times of Restoration have been established for customers impacted by the storms. Many customers will be restored before the listed times, as crews move from outage to outage to return power to all customers. ETRs for the affected areas are:MichiganBenton Harbor area: 75% of customers by 11 p.m. tonight and 100% by 11 p.m. SundayThree Rivers area: 85% of customers by 11 p.m. tonight and 100% by 3 p.m. SundayBuchanan area: RestoredIndianaSouth Bend/Elkhart area: 11 p.m. tonightFort Wayne area: 95% are restored; 100% by noon SundaySAFETY INFOPlease pay attention to several safety precautions:Downed power lines. Stay away from any downed wires and report them to I&M. You can call us at 800-311-4634, report on our app or website, or call 911.Trees could fall or drop limbs at any moment, please look up.Standing water could hide debris or even downed wires.Roads will likely be wet, slick and covered with debris.Traffic lights may not be functioning. Please use caution and be mindful of first responders and utility workers on the roadways.Crews will be following all CDC guidelines on physical distancing and we urge the general public not to approach our crews.Temperatures and humidity levels remain high for this time of the year. We urge anyone working outside to look for signs of heat stress and take appropriate precautions at the first sign of heat-related fatigue.OUTAGE NUMBERS:.As of 8:30 a.m., approximate outage numbers were:Michigan Total Customer Outages: 11,500Benton Harbor area: 6,700Buchanan area: 500Three Rivers area: 4,250Indiana Total Customer Outages: 2,440Fort Wayne area: 1,670South Bend/Elkhart area: 770ESTIMATED RESTORATION TIMES (ETRs)Estimated Times of Restoration will be determined and announced after all of the widespread damage is assessed.STAY INFORMEDI&M encourages customers to use the Indiana Michigan Power app to monitor the status of any outage affecting your home or business. IndianaMichiganPower.com/AppYou can sign up for text and email alerts on the app or at IndianaMichiganPower.com/AlertsSee the location and status of outages using our outage map at IndianaMichiganPower.com/OutageMapFor the latest updates please follow Indiana Michigan Power on Facebook and find us on Twitter @IN_MI_PowerA few more scattered showers and thunderstorms are possible on Saturday, but no widespread severe weather is expected. Highs will finish in the lower 80s. We should be mostly dry on Sunday with temperatures closer to 90 degrees.A stray storm is possible on Sunday as well. Better storm chances arrive by Monday afternoon with very warm temperatures sticking around. We’ll end the month of June and begin the month of July on a hot, humid and dry note.Your ABC 57 First Warning Neighborhood Weather Center Forecast:Saturday: Scattered showers and a few thunderstorms. High 83.Sunday: Partly cloudy with a stray storm possible. High 87.Monday: Isolated thunderstorms during the afternoon. High 88. Twitter Google+ Nearly 8,000+ I&M customers still without power after severe weather Pinterest IndianaLocalMichiganNewsWeather Facebook By Jon Zimney – June 27, 2020 0 1066 Google+ Previous articleAttendance limited to 50 percent for Indianapolis 500Next articleNew dates chosen for Elkhart Grand Prix Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney.
Google+ Elkhart City Councilman resigning Facebook Previous articleApplications open for South Bend’s 2020 Lamppost Lighting ProgramNext articleGoshen chase leads to crash involving cop Carl Stutsman Pinterest IndianaLocalNews WhatsApp (Photo supplied/City of Elkhart) Elkhart’s Democrat party will have to choose someone new to represent the city’s first district as Councilman Gerry Roberts announced this week that he is resigning.Roberts is moving out of the district and is not eligible to hold the seat any longer. Two candidates have been identified by the party already including Aaron Mishler and Dave Osborne. Osborne held that seat for eight years before Roberts.The party hopes to have a caucus in place and a decision made by mid August. Pinterest By Carl Stutsman – July 8, 2020 0 344 Facebook WhatsApp Twitter Google+ Twitter